ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Teaching Kids to Tell Time

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Teaching Kids to Tell Time


Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.

Who Would've Thought? Get the kids working on some large motor fun while learning to tell time in the fresh air. Love this!
Objectives:
Recognize clock as an instrument for measuring time
Distinguish between short and long hand as hour and minute hand, respectively
Tell time to hour, half hour, quarter hour, or in 5 minute increments, whichever level your child is working on.

Miller Moments demonstrates how to make a Tick, Tock Clock out of a paper plate.
Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns put together a math box equipped with tools for learning to tell time.

Parenting Toddlers has an informative article on the "best steps to follow" to teach children to tell time.

Monkeyin Around has shared a post showing printable clock matching cards that are useful for practicing time.

Dalle Un Colinho put together a wonderful activity for helping children understand the passage of time using a time line. She used circles cut out of cereal boxes to create the events for the time line. The children chose the events they wanted to, then pasted the circles on the wall. .

S.B. Creatively has a cute idea on a variation of the paper plate clock. It is nice that the kids could participate in putting the numbers in order without needing to know how to print their numbers yet.

Living Math Book List has put together a useful list of childrens' books that are about telling time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, and I just want to say that I love your ideas! I will definitely be using a lot of them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some time telling worksheets for Rylan a few weeks back, they are available for download on my blog:
    http://nurturingthetenderyears.blogspot.com/2010/04/telling-time-learning-activities.html

    I love the kids being the hands of the clock, we will definitely do that one! Thanks for sharing all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just getting ready to sell Story Time Felts & More and was going to look at some sites to use for my site. When I stumbled onto this site. I am so excited because I have decided to do family time each week and I am also going to try to home school my kindergartner. I am so scared that I will make it to boring. However, thanks to you and your thoughts you can help me. I have no teaching degree. So I am scared. Keep up the great work. Teresa ( Idaho)

    ReplyDelete