ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Jenae

Friday, November 12, 2010

Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Jenae

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.



I Can Teach My Child

Hi! My name is Jenae and I recently started a blog called I Can Teach My Child! I am a former first-grade teacher turned stay-at-home Momma to two boys. I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education, with an emphasis in Early-Childhood Education. I then went on to get a Master's Degree in Education. Above all else, I am striving to grow closer to God each day while leading my children to Him as well.

Our family of four! Our little boys are {almost} 3 years and 1 year old.

I started my blog for two purposes. The first was to keep me accountable in regards to doing learning activities with my own children. If I know I'm going to blog about it, I'm more motivated to consistently attempt to learn alongside my boys! The second is to help other parents who wish to provide their children with quality learning experiences as well. With budget cuts nationwide, many early childhood programs are being cut, including the Parents as Teachers program in our own district. I set out with the goal to create a comprehensive resource for parents of children birth through kindergarten!
Each of my activities fall within one of the six domains of early childhood development: gross motor, fine motor, social/emotional, language, cognitive, and self-help/adaptive. Read more about these developmental domains and how they influence your child's learning here.
Here are just a few of the most popular posts from my blog:






These little books are so handy and extremely versatile! I created a "body book" for my youngest son by taking pictures and labeling his eyes, nose, ears, mouth, hand, arm, leg, and foot. This is a favorite book to throw in the diaper bag for church or other "quiet" places.



I have also used these handy books in a scavenger hunt project, finding various shapes, numbers, and letters. Read about this variation here.

Letter Boxes and Scavenger Hunt



I'm a big advocate of using what you have on hand. We created these "letter boxes" using the TONS of baby food containers we had around the house. We marched around the house, looking for any item small enough to fit in the box that started with the letter. My goal is to eventually have a letter box for every letter of the alphabet! Find more about this activity here.

I Spy


I am always looking for something to take out with us to keep my oldest engaged, learning, and quiet. This "I Spy" bottle does the trick! We put some letter block beads and small erasers inside a water bottle with sand and glitter. I then created a "table of contents" to keep attached to the bottle so that he can "hunt" for the items in the bottle. It is a big hit! Find out how to make one for your child here.

Color Sorting Hunt

We transformed a drink carrier into a color sorting basket. My oldest took this along and we searched the house for items of the corresponding color. Again, an easy learning activity using something that we had on hand!

I am so happy to be included on ABC & 123's Feature Yourself Friday! I would love to have you stop by my blog. Head on over here...or follow me on Facebook or Twitter! To top it all off, we also have some really great giveaways each week, so be sure to stop by. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to read about I Can Teach My Child!

3 comments:

  1. I love your color sorter. What a great way to reuse the carrier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love the ziploc bag book! I think my youngest would like something like that. Thank you for the great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to "meet" you! I remember making ziploc bag books when I took early childhood courses. It's such a great and simple idea!

    ReplyDelete