ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Little Cooks with Books ~ Blueberries for Sal

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Little Cooks with Books ~ Blueberries for Sal

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.

With blueberry season on the way, I thought  Blueberries for Sal was the perfect chose for this week's Little Cooks with Books activity. This Caldecott honor book is about a young girl and her mother and a young bear and his mother, who are both looking for blueberries. The illustrations consist of a single dark blue color and block prints.

Samantha and Gracen are very familiar with this book.  However, it was new to Wes.  He thoroughly enjoyed it.  His favorite part was when the young girl and young bear get mixed up and begin following the wrong mothers.  He thought it was a hilarious mistake.

To accompany this book, I decided that we would make a simple, no-bake blueberry pie.  Gracen was at a birthday party, so I let Samantha make it all by herself.   I gave her the recipe and let her go at it.  She did a great job, and did not require much help.  She did ask what "fold in the blueberries" means, so I modeled how to do it and she finished.  She was so proud that she had made the entire pie all by herself.


Little Cooks With Books ~ Blueberries for Sal


My goal for this activity was to have Samantha do as much as she could by herself.  She was successful  because she has been cooking with me for a while.  If your little cook is younger or is just starting on his or her cooking adventure, here are some objectives you can use for this lesson:
  • Practice reading a recipe.
  • Discuss abbreviations commonly used in recipes (For example:  T for tablespoon and tsp for teaspoon).
  • Washing fruit (blueberries).
  • How to "fold" in an ingredient.   
  • Juicing a lemon.

I hope you and your little cook have lots of blueberry fun with Blueberries for Sal and this yummy pie.

See you in two weeks with another Little Cooks with Books activity!

Keep Cookin',
Tara
www.ittybittybookworm.com
www.ittybittybookworms.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about doing a roundup of books with recipes inside - love this!! Will definitely have to remember Blueberries for Sal, it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. My mom read it to us over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last summer, we read this book as part of our Maine studies. We went blueberry picking and baked a pie. Here is a link: http://superheroesandprincesses.blogspot.com/2009/07/one-berry-two-berry-pick-me-blueberry.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a fun book. We enjoy singing that song "Blueberry Pancakes" every Saturday morning as we make them. :)

    I just LOVE your blog. :) I have given you the "Sunshine Blog Award" because you truly are inspiring to me.

    Blessings!
    -Sarah

    http://harriganhowdy.blogspot.com/2010/05/honored-by-few-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara,
    Thanks for the fantastic first post. That blueberry dessert looks so delcious that I wish my screen were edible. Send me a piece, will you;)?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete