ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Teaching with Ticia: Make a 10

Monday, October 10, 2011

Teaching with Ticia: Make a 10


or make a 9, you can easily adapt this to any number you want.  This is somewhat influenced by my CGI training when I was teaching (Cognitively Guided Instruction).  The theory behind that was to let the kids find different ways to solve the same problem.
I gave my kids a target number to find, so far this week we've done 10 and 9.  This coming week we're going to try other numbers.  Then they used their math blocks to see what combinations of numbers could be used to add up to 10.  For the sake of this activity I only allowed 2 addends, but obviously you're only limited by your rules.

After we did this I remembered an activity we used to do when I was teaching 3rd grade, and the kids were given the day of the month and had to find different ways to find the number, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or multi-step problems.  This is a great way to introduce kids to the concept of multi-step problems without them becoming afraid of it because it just seems like play to them.
I made a super simple printable for anyone who is interested, but quite frankly you can just as easily give them a sheet of paper with the number written at the top.

Have you had any math activities that were a big hit for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment