ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Little Cooks with Books ~ Strawberry Jam

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Little Cooks with Books ~ Strawberry Jam

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.

When I saw the baskets of beautiful strawberries at my local farmer's market, I knew exactly what we would make for our Little Cooks with Books activity.  Strawberry Freezer Jam!  I had never made it and had been wanting to try, so this was the perfect time. I immediately knew which books I would use, as well. 

Jamberry was one of Wes's favorite books when he was three years old.  He loved it's "sing-song" rhythm and fun rhymes.  We read it so much that he knew the rhyming words by heart.  This is a perfect book for a preschool read aloud. Be prepared to read it many times!

The Giant Jam Sandwich (Sandpiper Book)is a hilarious book about the people of a town named "Itching Down".  When Itching Down becomes invaded by wasps, the townspeople try trapping them in a gigantic strawberry jam sandwich.  My children enjoyed the humor and outlandish antics in this book.  It's rhyming verse makes it a great read aloud choice.

All three of my children participated in the making of our jam. 

Wes and Gracen washed and cut the tops off of the strawberries.  They used the Curious Chef® 3 Piece Nylon Knife Set, specifically designed for little chefs.

Samantha pureed the strawberries in the blender and then stirred in the sugar and pectin.

I found these Ball Plastic 8-Ounce Freezer Jars,which worked perfectly.  We kept two and gave the other two jars to our neighbors.

Appropriate objectives for this activity include:
  • Washing fruits
  • Slicing
  • Measuring
  • Stirring
  • Pouring
Little Cooks With Books ~ Jam


Enjoy the Jam!

See you in two weeks with another Little Cooks with Books activity!

Keep Cookin',
Tara
www.ittybittybookworm.com
www.ittybittybookworms.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. How fun! The Giant Jam Sandwich was a favorite of mine as kid- thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giant jam sandwich is a favorite here too! We still have my copy from when I was a kid. I bet I've read it 1000 times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know we made some jam- it turned out great! I linked to this post in my blog:

    http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/2010/06/strawberries-part-2.html

    Thanks for a great idea!
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete