ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Count your sheep!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Count your sheep!


It is my pleasure today to introduce our newest feature writer.  Ana, from Ingles 360, is joining our team to bring to write Bilingual Wednesdays.  Ana lives in South America and teaches English as a foreign language for children pre k-12.  She has recognized a lack of activities and materials for bilingual lessons in the blog world and is using her creativity to design books and games to fill the void.  On ABC & 123, Ana will offer lesson suggestions for teaching simple preschool and elementary concepts in English and Spanish.

Welcome Ana!


This is one of my last Sunday School classes. I named it "Count your sheep" and I taught the parable of the lost sheep from Luke 15:4-7.

“Then Jesus told them this parable: ‘Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, “Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.” I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent’

I also used the lesson to teach my niece numbers in both English and Spanish

Beforehand I made sheep with white balloons and hide them in different parts of the house.


I told her she had 4 sheep and they were lost. She went on a "sheep hunt" and found them all.


We talked about how Jesus loves us, His sheep. We thanked Him for  His love and we reviewed  numbers from 1 to 4.

I made these cards and bought some pompons to count and sort.




I also printed some sheep and let her count and sort them on the correct mat.



I am not so good at modeling clay, but these were my first attempt at making sheep. What do you think?





I pasted a dotted ribbon on clothespins and then pasted the sheep. She had to count the sheep in the clothespin and pin them in the correct card.



I made these cards to review numbers in English


and Spanish



                          

1 comment:

  1. I think any one would be lucky to recieve any on of these packets. I am just starting out in the field of Early Childhood Education. lorettaderboven@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete