ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Logic Learning

Monday, August 2, 2010

Logic Learning

Welcome to this week’s Play To Learn feature where we’ll be discussing fun ways to build logical thinking skills! There are so many great ways to get your brain working and here are just some fun games we play at home:

Logic Links

Have you tried Logic Links Puzzles yet? We just love this game! Its great for building logical reasoning skills and I add them to our workboxes for fun! The game comes with over 160 puzzle cards front and back that increase in skill level. They give clues as to where to place the colored disks to help you figure out the puzzles. They also offer other levels of books, see the bottom of this post for more information.

IMG_3070 IMG_3072

Dollar Puzzles from Michael’s:

I found these inexpensive shape puzzles and they were a great addition to our workboxes! They are harder than they look and turned out to be a great problem solving game!

IMG_2868 IMG_2865

Color Cubes

We use these cubes for all kinds of projects. My preschooler uses them to make patterns and my older kids use them with the Creative Color Cube Activity Cards. The cards vary in skill level so they’re appropriate for younger and older kids. Some even require buildling a shape that includes hidden blocks. Click here for more fun with Creative Color Cube Activity Cards

 IMG_1573  IMG_1574

Pattern Blocks:

This is probably one of my kids most favorite activities. Even my older kids like to play with these, they take some good muscle coordination, and logical thinking to complete the cards. I use them with Pattern Block Design Cards and I got my Wooden Pattern Blocks Here! The Pattern Block Design Cards come vary in skill level including cards without the shapes outlined so you have to figure out the puzzle on your own to complete the image.

IMG_2445 IMG_2437

Tangram Puzzles:

This is another favorite, I got mine at Lakeshore Learning, along with the plastic pieces. Here are some inexpensive Tangram activity cards from Amazon.The theory is that you can make anything using only 7 pieces. It’s a good challenge and these activity cards come with shapes outlined for beginners and non-outlined for more of a challenge.

 IMG_0728

JENGA!

We recently received Jenga from a friend and love it. I know it’s not new, but what a great logical skills game! First we get to build the tower, then strategically remove the pieces without making the tower fall over. It’s great fun that everyone can enjoy and really get’s your brain working!

 

Pattern Mystery Box:

This is great for my preschooler. I got it from Lakeshore Learning and I apologize, I can’t find the exact link on their website, but you could easily make up your own version of this. We pull out a pattern card, then she reaches into the mystery box and “feels” for the shape that should go next in the pattern.

IMG_5584

Here are some other fun logic games to get you started:

Those are just some of many ideas for learning shapes! If you have more ideas to share, or would like to be included in future “Play To Learn” posts, please email me at homeschoolerconfessions {at} gmail {dot} com, we’d love to hear from you!

signature

3 comments:

  1. I love these ideas... the dollar puzzles from Michaels are great. We use them to make up different items and the kids have a blast. I like hearing them say things like "I need a triangle!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing!

    And I have a little blogaward for you at my blog forskollarare.blogspot.com
    Just to say thank you so much for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got a Jenga for the first time as a birthday gift for my boys. We have been having a lot of fun with it. :)

    ReplyDelete