ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Play To Learn ~ ABCs Part 1

Monday, August 30, 2010

Play To Learn ~ ABCs Part 1

Welcome to this week’s s Play To Learn! We’re big into our ABC’s over here, so this post is fun creative ways to learn our letter’s and sounds! Ready to get learning?

Our newest venture was with the Wikki Sticks. Normally I’m not a fan of these guys because they get into the carpet, and when I say “into” I mean “INTO”! But, under well supervised use, they are a great learning tool for letter and even shapes, plus they’re fun to mold into different objects as well! I found these super cute Alphabet Fun Cards by Wikki Stix that were perfect for us.

41uWmiPaosL._SL500_AA300_

IMG_6391 

I also like to mix in motor skills at the same time we are learning our alphabet, so we do things like our large floor cards. My daughter hops on a card and says the letter or number or I’ll tell her to hop to one.

IMG_4845

We do lots of letter matching to help with recognition, in this case she I wrote uppercase letters on clear spoons, and lowercase on white spoons. She then matched them to an alphabet sheet.

IMG_4769

We love our 11 x 11 Pin Geoboard, we use it to make letters, numbers, shapes etc!

IMG_3546

Here she matched lowercase magnetic letters to a page with uppercase letters on it and below she matched uppercase to uppercase. You can vary this activity depending on your child’s skill level.

IMG_4772

IMG_6354

We also do logical thinking games as we learn each letter such as puzzles, patterns, size sorting and reproducing a patterned image:

IMG_4649

IMG_6352

IMG_6351

I like to try and keep it fun, so we play games such as the below alphabet game which also helps with counting and number recognition!

IMG_4871 

Here she is sorting vowels from a stack of different alphabet manipulatives and grouping them on the correct vowel circle:

IMG_4783  

Here I had picture cards and she matched the beginning sound letter to the image:

IMG_4778

Those are just some of many ideas for learning the alphabet. If you want to see more, feel free to head over to Confessions of a homeschooler. Just click on the ABC’s & 123’s link at the top of my blog. And don’t forget to come back next time for ABC’s part 2!

If you have more ideas to share, or would like to be included in future “Play To Learn” posts, please email me at homeschoolerconfessions {at} gmail {dot} com, we’d love to hear from you!

signature

3 comments:

  1. I always forget to get more Wikki Sticks! I used them in my classroom but left them for the next teacher. I think I'm going to go get some today. Those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they are cool, but definitely one to keep away from CARPET! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make the Alphabet Game? I think that is so cute and would totally love a version if its available!

    ReplyDelete