ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Bilingual Wednesdays- November words

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bilingual Wednesdays- November words


A teachable moment is an unplanned opportunity that arises in the classroom where a teacher has an ideal chance to offer insight to his or her children.
It is not something that you can plan for; it is an opportunity that must be sensed by the teacher.
The Encarta also defines it as a moment of educational opportunity. A time in which a person, especially a child is likely to be particularly disposed to learn something or particularly responsive to being taught or made aware of something.
I have all my lesson plans prepared beforehand. But I try to make advantage of all the teachable moments that arise when I am with my kids.
November teachable moments come with new words to celebrate Thanksgiving Day also in Spanish.

My goals for this lesson:
To introduce and practice new words related to Thanksgiving.
To relate words and pictures

To introduce new words I collected some pictures and made flashcards. I wrote the English word in one side and the Spanish in the other side. I put the flashcards in an envelope and let kids “peep” through a hole there. I asked them to identify the pictures and name them.
After playing with the cards I introduced the new words in Spanish. We are used to do many things with new words like clapping, stomping, shouting, whispering, dancing, miming and singing the words.

To practice and consolidate the new words I made these matching cards. 


or you can use the cards as a concentration game






0 Comments:

Post a Comment