ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Bilingual Wednesdays- Colors in the circus

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bilingual Wednesdays- Colors in the circus



Many has been said to the learning of a second/foreign language.  Recent studies have shown that the best time for a child to learn another language is the first three to four years of life.

Why?
Because language learning is a natural process when children are young. Children will learn a new language by listening, seeing, imitating and practicing.

Ronald Kotulak, author ofInside the Brain says in his book"During the first three years of life, the foundations for thinking, language, vision, attitudes, aptitudes, and other characteristics are laid down,"  

I have been teaching bilingual children for 20 years. I read many books and tried different approaches but what really worked for me was taking into account children's interests.

This week we are going to learn 3 new colors  : orange, purple and green.
As I prepared this lesson for my niece, and she likes circus, clowns, acrobats, juggles, dancers...
I related the new colors  to the circus theme.

I bought some plastic noses and color some orange, purple and green. I hide them around the house and asked her to go on a "clown nose hunt". She found all the noses and was surprised because she thought all the noses would be red. 

I taught her the name of the new colors:

Orange= Naranja
Purple = Violeta
Green= Verde

We used the posters to review and practice the colors when "making words" with the letter tiles cards.

These are the posters and the letter tiles cards for the theme









Then we played with this file folder game.

 

You can download the files in my blog

See you there!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment