ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Anne

Friday, December 3, 2010

Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Anne

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.



Hi! I’m Anne of Little Sprout Books. I’m a mom, wife, and book-lover! I have two boys under 5, and I am fortunate enough to spend each day at home watching them learn and grow! I am a credentialed teacher, but I left the classroom temporarily to focus on my boys. I began Little Sprout Books because I noticed that certain books leant themselves to developmentally appropriate activities and discussions. My literacy education makes identifying these qualities natural for me, but I wanted to make the connections explicit for other busy moms, dads, and caregivers. The rows of shelves at the library can be overwhelming, and a bookstore (real or online) can be even more so, but at Little Sprout Books I help navigate those decisions and selections!


Books I review are mostly those in our collection at home or from our local library, though I’m always excited to receive a new one from an author or publisher. I try to include some that appeal to my baby/toddler’s developing senses and skills and some that address my preschooler’s questions and concerns about the world around him.


My "B," hard at "work."

 I often feature books and activities or discussion-starters for holidays and special events – especially the less commercial and more historical, like Labor day and Election day.


Dr. B playing dentist.

 I also find books are excellent tools for preparing children for new experiences (like a visit to the dentist) and for dealing with challenging behaviors (like finicky eating). 



Some unusual art: it's ok to be different!

 When a book leads us to a craft or project, I’ll always share the instructions, like when we talked about appreciating differences, or played games with motor skills. 


Sleepytime after a good story (or two)!

 Books have a special place in our bedtime routine, and if they help my little guys dream peacefully or just settle down a little easier, you’ll find them shared on my blog.


I also host a children’s book recommendation link-up every week called Feed Me Books Friday. It’s a great place to check out books others are reading and reviewing and to see what might interest you and your child. If you post about things you read with children of any age, I hope you’ll come by and share your link!

I recently started a series I call Must-See-Monday. I have found so many great ideas in the kid-lit-osphere and mom-osphere that I just want to shout them from the rooftops! (Instead I share the links each Monday for the best crafts, books, ideas, and giveaways I’ve seen for the week!

Hope you’ll stop for a visit at Little Sprout Books soon! If you’re a book-lover, your wish list is sure to grow!

3 comments:

  1. Anne always has wonderful book suggestions! I love visiting her blog to see what she recommends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see you featured here, Anne! I agree that trying to find the right books at the library can be overwhelming. I like your blog and Feed Me Friday and do get good ideas there. I'll have to check out Must-See Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just blogging around this afternoon and found your blog. I love reading all the different blogs, they are all so different and unique. You have done a great job with your page. Thank you for letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.coml

    ReplyDelete