ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: 123 Learn With Me: Calendar Skills

Monday, March 23, 2009

123 Learn With Me: Calendar Skills

New to ABC and 123?
Please check out our FAQ in the left sidebar.

When Katie, from a Listmaker's Life, was teaching second grade one of the math standards required students to write the names of the months in order and sort them by season.

Although many of our children are younger than second grade, it is not too early start working on calendar skills. In fact, in almost all preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade classrooms a portion of the day is spent on developing calendar skills.

Often calendar time includes:
Naming the days of the week
Naming the months of the year
Counting days
Looking for patterns
Grouping days by 10's
Identifying the names of days and months
Graphing

Kelly's Kindergarten has helped you out by providing free printable calendar date pieces and provides links to other sources of free calendar materials. Scroll down past the weekly graph for the links.

Mrs. Meacham's Classroom Snapshots provides many ways to calendars, see her calendar wall with instructions for a step by step calendar lesson done whole class. Her students follow along and add to their own calendar binders, calendar file, or calendar notebook.

For more kindergarten calendar activity descriptions see Mrs. MacDowell's website, scroll down past the morning message portion of the page, but don't forget to read that too. She has some great ideas.

If you would like to incorporate graphing into your daily calendar lists of graphing ideas can be found here and here. A list of celebrations throughout the year to add to your calendar can be found here.

Instructor Web provides several lesson plans to teach calendar skills to students at several levels.

Recycle your old planners and/or calendars for an educational purpose. Cut the month labels off each page.

Options:
1. Work with your child to identify the names for each month.
2. Order the month titles from January to December
3. Sort the months into the seasons.

You can use old calendar pages with these activities.

Learn NC gives instructions for playing a calendar review game called BANG!

Today's Giveaway:


Creative Memories Jumbo Great Length Calendar Stickers
and
Mary Engelbreit Months of the Year Laminated Labels

You will receive one entry per comment. Please submit separate comments for each entry option you choose.

To Win:
Leave a comment - What is your favorite month of the year? Day of the week? Why?
Send us a submission
Become a follower
Add our button to your site

Good Luck! We’ll announce a winner tomorrow!

39 comments:

  1. ahhhhh... a CM product; that I don't yet have and want! i SO love mary engelbreit too! my favorite month of the year would have to be december; i love christmas time and all the fun activities that you can do! my favorite day of the week is saturday; because it is is usually a lazy day of the week where i can play catch up and spend time with the kids!!

    monday is NOT my fave!! lol

    noelle ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. and... i proudly display your button on my page!!! ooooh, i hope i win!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Ladies, we love Saturday in our house! We love getting a whole day to spend as a family. It really is a treat. We also love early fall when the days are still warm but not too hot. It is also fair season. We love going to 4h fairs and county fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite month is a toss up between December, I love the holidays and May because I loe spring and Mothers Day!

    I really enjoy Sundays. I have found a new chruch that really inspires me and it is a day for family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have your button on my page.

    I am doing a preschool craft with kids that range from 1-3. I will take photos today and submit the project!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Saturdays and May-getting warmer but not too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite month...I think it's July...a time for family, my birthday, long days of sunshine!

    My favorite day...SUNDAY! A day of worship, relaxing, and loving life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a very contented follower! This calendar would be great to have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fave month: my birthday month June! and its a nice weather month, with lots of exciting things happening (weddings, grads, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! My kids are trying to grasp the concept of days of the week!

    My favorite month: That is a hard one! I like them all! But, I think I would have to say March. I just love this time of year! The weather is starting to get warmer, but not too warm. We can play outside a lot. The days seem longer because of the time change. I LOVE it when it stays light later!!!

    Day of the Week: That is hard too! Probably Friday because DH comes home for the weekend and we have family fun night, Saturday because we have the whole day together to play and work, and Sunday because we get to worship God together and enjoy our family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite month is May. My husband and daughter have May birthdays. Plus the weather here is usually very nice. Not too hot yet.

    My favorite day of the week is Saturday. I get to sleep in and my husband is home. We usually run errands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite month is October. Any day in this month. I love Fall and this is my favorite time of year to decorate my house. I love all the dark Fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite month is May--when spring finally arrives here up north!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like December the best. The build up until Christmas is so fun when you have little kids.
    I think my favorite day of the week is Sunday. I enjoy going to church, and also the fact that we almost always get to spend some time as a family on Sunday. My husband works wierd hours, so that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all of your give aways! I'll go with July (ahh, summer), and Saturday (because my husband is home to help watch the little guy, so I get a loooong bath, coffee brought to me, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm stopping over as part of my party blog hopping. It is very nice to meet you and your blog. I have a toddler learning/fun activity site at www.superfunmama.blogspot.com; I'd love to have you come visit sometime. Have a magical day!

    I love your blog. I'm subscribing!Early learning blogs are my favorite way to spend "me" time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a huge Mary Engelbreit fan! I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've added a button to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And, I follow you on google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love May because we have a tea party (per Miss Spider's Tea Party). We invite all the mothers, dress in our finest, send out fancy invitations, decorate our classrooms for a fancy tea party, and serve the moms tea or lemonade. It's great! I love Fridays because my students meet with their buddy class. I am a follower and have added your button :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary Engelbreit is my favorite!

    My favorite day of the week is Saturday. No work, for me and my hubby and he's not stressing about going back to work the next day like on Sunday.

    My favorite month is May. Its before it gets too hot but it normally warm everyday. ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello! i just found your site and had to become a follower! i love all the collected ideas you have and i've used a couple already!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just sent you a submission! Thanks for entering me...again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. my favorite month would have to be September because it is still pretty warm here and that is our family's prime time to go camping! :) i also enjoy fridays for the obvious reason of enjoying the weekend! i love the calm and peace i feel of ending the weekdays and having my husband home with us for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My favorite Month is March...because I got married in that month. My favorite day is Thursday because both my kids were born on Thursdays!

    I am loving you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! Poppin’ in from The Ultimate Blog Party…all the way from Queensland, Australia! G’Day! I hope you have time to visit my party soon.

    Ta!

    I want to invite you to the Mommie Daze Virtual Baby Shower that I am hosting May 15 to June 8. This is an international even and there are prizes! Stop by my blog for all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  27. my favorite day is mondday i love monday fresh start i can get things done again i hate the weekends!

    ReplyDelete