ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Springtime Skip Count

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Springtime Skip Count

Remember me? It's your friend, Rachelle, from What the Teacher Wants.  I am now also a feature writer for ABC and 123 once a month {no worries, I still blog full time over at What the Teacher Wants}! Check back on the first Wednesday of every month. I'm so excited!  My posts will be called...

 But, it's not just about addition of course. I'm actually going to be posting about all areas of math. Math, math, math and more math.  I'll concentrate on math for pre-k through 3rd, but most ideas can be adapted for all ages.  I'll focus on offering fun, simple, and hands-on math activities for *FREE*.

Today's focus is skip counting by 2's, 5's and 10's...


Here is an example of the counting by 2's cards:

Here is an example of the counting by 5's cards:


Here is an example of the counting by 10's cards:



Clipart and/or fonts are copyright DJ Inkers and used with permission: www.djinkers.com

For the Teacher:
Copy on cardstock, laminate and cut out.  I made about 4 sets of each.

Procedure:
1.  Have the students work with a partner and order the cards {by skip counting}.
2. After ordering the cards, the students will record on their sheet (see below).
3. When they are finished, the students can find another set of different cards to order {by skip counting}, and so on.
4.  You can use this in a center, as a review rotation as describes above, or during a whole group instruction {just add sticky magnetic tape and put on the board}.

Click {HERE} for the full download!


What are some topics in math that you hope  I cover in these posts?

8 comments:

  1. As always... Adorable!

    We have been working all year on solving word problems. We use our math journals to solve problems using pictures, words, and numbers. If you are looking for a suggestion, I would love your creative touch on math journals.

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We definitely need some help in the skip counting department...these will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Rachelle! As always, can't wait to use this in my classroom.

    Topics I would love to see -
    Fact Families
    Money
    Place Value

    Can't wait to read these every month. :)

    www.peaceloveandfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what wonderful ideas you have! I also would like to see some problem solving strategies and some different ways to use math journals.

    www.teachinginthecouv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We worked on skip counting by 2 today. My kids had trouble. Could you add more to the 2's? First graders need to go to 100. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog and I'm excited to see your posts here as well!! I would love to see posts about measurement and place value!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pam, the Utah Core Curriculum {I teach in Utah} does not include skip counting to 100 by 2's {they only need to go to 20}. Only for 5's and 10's. I would be happy to include all the way to 100 for you. Please just email me! :)
    whattheteacherwants@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete