ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: DIY Bookshelf Patterns and Ideas

Thursday, March 3, 2011

DIY Bookshelf Patterns and Ideas

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.


Any great literacy rich environment must have a system for storing books! In my second grade classroom I started each year by reorganizing books and trying to figure out the best system for organizing and classifying books to make them look appealing and easy to access. This week it was fun for me to search out your super suggestions for storing books. Here are several of my favorite set ups!

The Whimsical Tree Bookshelf from Design Dazzle is one of the most creative bookshelves I've ever seen. I love it!

Helping Little Hands explains how they put together easy front facing display shelves for their picture books.

Have you heard of Ana-White? She is a fantastic resource for helping you with all of your DIY furniture projects. Children's Book Ledges are in her line up of DIY organizing projects.

From the Nest inexpensively put together a great sling shelf for books, similar to those seen in more expensive catalog shops.


Full of Great Ideas created slim book shelves perfect for displaying children's books.

I have also had my eye on some clever ladder shelves for books. Have any of you created one of these? We'd love to see your links.

How do you store, display, and organize your book collection?

4 comments:

  1. I made a sling bookshelf using director chair cover inserts:

    http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2010/10/make-it-no-sew-hanging-bookshelf.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the feature of our front facing shelves!

    And I love those tree shelves...ahhh...someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing on this post- we are re-doing our playroom and I am in desparate need for some bookshelves. That tree is incredibly creative- wow!
    C:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love this blog! Great stuff!

    I used IKEA Spice Racks (~$2.50 each) for bookshelves:

    http://ateacheratheart.blogspot.com/2011/02/spice-rack-book-shelves-update_26.html

    and my SIL used rain gutters!

    http://ateacheratheart.blogspot.com/2011/01/never-too-young-for-books.html

    ReplyDelete