ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Happy Birthday Author: Robert Frost

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Author: Robert Frost

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar. Robert Frost was an American poet who was born in 1874 and is still remembered today for his realistic poetry about rural life. He is still quoted often. Since I was very young I have had the lyrics of Stopping By The Woods on a Snowy Evening committed to memory. It is my Gram's favorite poem and she would recite it for us often. "...The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Today, we challenge you to find a Frost poem to read with a child in celebration of his special day. Perhaps choose a poem or two to add to your favorites list. Favorite Poems and Poets provides an extensive link list of Frost's poems. Spend some time in rhyme and verse as inspiration for planning some National Poetry Month activities for April, which is right around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for this post! We got very interested in Robert Frost's poetry this school year. He was my father's favorite poet and I, too, have some of his poetry committed to memory since childhood for this reason. There is also a YouTube clip of Frost reading "Stopping By Woods..." that we like, although his Spring poetry might be more appropriate for the season. :-)
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live right near the Robert Frost farm in NH. He wrote a few poems while he lived there. I wrote a post on him last year & posted a photo of his house/farm.

    ReplyDelete