ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Lynn

Friday, February 11, 2011

Feature Yourself Friday: Meet Lynn

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.



Hi everyone! Thank you to Katie & Katie for this chance to introduce ourselves! I started my blog, Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile, soon after my son was born. I found myself searching for children's book suggestions online, and was especially interested in what children actually thought of books. So I decided to blog about my son's reactions to books, and to use the blog as a place to catalog all of the books we were reading together.

My "Infant Bibliophile" is now 3, an early reader, and he has a 10 week old baby sister that already seems to love her booktime. I have expanded the focus of our blog to include more learning activities and our foray into homeschooling, and I no longer review every book we read. Books continue to be a major source of enjoyment and learning for us, but we also love games and occasional crafts.

Here are a few examples of the types of activities we enjoy and blog about.

We often post about crafts and activities related to books. The Bibliophile isn't a huge fan of crafts (a shock to this crafty mama!), so our crafts tend to be quick. Here are three examples. If you visit the posts, you'll see book suggestions along with each activity.

This simple color scavenger hunt activity is near and dear to my heart, because it is one of the first book-related activities I remember doing with my son (when he was 15 months old). The companion book, Lemons Are Not Red, is wonderful.

With Valentine's Day coming up, I'm flashing back to this fun Valentine's Day collage from last year, which I repeated for an all ages craft group. (Pre-baby, I was an avid quilter, and this post also contains one of the few post-baby quilting projects I have managed to complete).

And this Make a Monster Felt Board is still popular a year later. (Combine it with one of my favorite children's books ever: The Monster at the End of This Book!).




Sometimes, we do more "formal" sort of learning, as we have started to dabble in early homeschooling. Here is an example of the fun we had learning about Ireland last year. (He especially enjoyed our pretend Blarney Stone).

But most often, we just play! Board games are always a huge hit in our house, and we use them to learn all sorts of things. Here is a post that explains how we adapt Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit for our three year old (and what I think he learns from playing them).

To see more of our adventures, please come and visit us (leave a comment and say hi!) at Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment