ABC and 123: A Learning Collaborative: YUMMY spelling practice

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

YUMMY spelling practice

Welcome! New to ABC and 123? Please check out our FAQ in the sidebar.

Wow! I feel like I already know you all. I love posting on ABC and 123. This is my 4th post! I'm Rachelle from, What the Teacher Wants!

Do you have a hard time coming up with a variety of ways to practice your child/students' spelling words each week? I have found that using food can be a great {yummy} way to practice for all ages!

Pixie stick spelling-





Supplies:

  • 1 or 2 bags of pixie sticks (They really only need about 1 small pixie stick each)
  • Paper Plate
  • Printable
  • Popsicle stick (or toothpick)

Tip:
I give my students one word at a time to spell in their pixie stick candy. When we finish all of the words, they can eat 2 pinches! I don't want them all hyped up on sugar all day!


{click the picture for the download}

Fruit Loop Spelling-



Supplies:
  • Fruit Loops Cereal (I give my kiddos one dixie cup full)
  • Printable


{click the picture for the download}


Rice Spelling (not edible, just fun)-
Supplies:
  • Rice
  • Container
  • Printable

Tip: I put the rice in pencil boxes.
{click the picture for the download}


Additional food items to use for spelling practice:
  • pudding
  • apple sauce
  • Apple Jacks
  • Shaving Cream (I know it's not a food, but it's fun)
  • Twizzler's Pull and Peel


For OODLES of spelling ideas for home or the classroom click {HERE} and visit What the Teacher Wants!

12 comments:

  1. Fun ideas, I had never thought to use pixie sticks before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, I love these ideas:)
    I have done the shaving before.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these ideas and your blog! I'm a fellow teacher and new follower!

    http://herworthisfarabovejewels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have fun dip in class from Valentine's Day. This is fabulous. We will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks...

    Cheryl
    saouds2ndgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love every one!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FABULOUS ideas! They are so fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    Alexandra
    http://thefirstgradesweetlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of the food ideas! I am going to use the fruit loops for a literacy work station :)

    http://skellyskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ideas! One suggestion: Please make the word 'i' a capital.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @anonymous- So sorry! It's just the font I use! It's so cute, but it doesn't have any upper case letters! Sorry...I'll change it and email it to you if you send me your email. :)

    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you ideas!!! My students will have so much fun. I can't wait to do the pixie stick spelling next week! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete